The author wrote this new edition of the most popular elementary social studies methods text on the market with the following three goals in mind: to present the most powerful social studies content and pedagogy for children in elementary school, to offer the material in simple and accessible ways, and to write in a first person active voice. The purpose of this book is to introduce new teachers to the world of social studies teaching and learning in elementary and middle schools. Geography, history, government and the other social sciences are delivered into the palm of the new teacher’s hand along with a suite of tools for bringing social studies to life in the classroom.
The book is organized into three sections–the first orients the reader to the mission of social studies education to the increasingly diverse children we teach, the second concentrates on the curriculum, and the third deals with instruction, how we plan and teach this curriculum. Three central themes continue to pervade the book–democratic citizenship, diversity, and the social sciences–to ultimately encourage teachers to excite their students about closing the gap between social realities and democratic ideals. An exceptionally strong chapter on multicultural issues (Chapter 2) helps future teachers truly understand the changing demographics of the American classroom.
Table of Contents
PART I: Introduction to Social Studies Education
Chapter 1: Social Studies Education: What and Why
Chapter 2: Teaching Diverse Children
PART II: The Social Studies Curriculum
Chapter 3: Democratic Citizenship Education
Chapter 4: History, Geography, and the Social Sciences
Chapter 5: Powerful Tools: Maps, Globes, Charts, and Graphics
Chapter 6: Current Events and Public Issues
PART III: Planning and Teaching Social Studies
Chapter 7: Assessing Student Learning
Chapter 8: Planning Units, Lessons, and Activities
Chapter 9: Five Great Teaching Strategies
Chapter 10: The Literacy—Social Studies Connection
Chapter 11: Social Studies as the Integrating Core
Chapter 12: Four Great Resources
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$70.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-359085-2