A Down-to-Earth Approach
James Henslin shares the excitement of sociology with his acclaimed down-to-earth approach and personal writing style. Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach, 12/e highlights the sociology of everyday life and its relevance to students’ lives. Six central themes help students stimulate their sociological imagination: down-to-earth sociology, globalization, cultural diversity, critical thinking, the new technology, and the influence of the mass media on our lives.
MySocLab is an integral part of the Henslin program. Engaging activities and assessments provide a teaching and learning system that helps students discover sociology in their lives. With MySocLab, students can watch videos on sociological core concepts, explore real-world sociology through the new Social Explorer, and develop critical thinking skills through writing.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience—for you and your students. It:
- Personalizes Learning with MySocLab: MySocLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program. It helps students prepare for class and instructor gauge individual and class performance.
- Connects with Students: The author’s writing style permeates the vignettes, boxes, stories of personal experience, and examples of field research in the book.
- Encourages Understanding of Diversity: Students will gain an understanding of how social life is “done” in other parts of the world as well as examine groups that make up the fascinating array of people who form the U.S. population.
Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach, Twelfth Edition is also available via REVEL™, an immersive learning experience designed for the way today's students read, think, and learn.
Table of Contents
BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Part 1: The Sociological Perspective
Chapter 1: The Sociological Perspective
Chapter 2: Culture
Chapter 3: Socialization
Chapter 4: Social Structure and Social Interaction
Chapter 5: How Sociologists Do Research
Part II: Social Groups and Social Control
Chapter 6: Societies to Social Networks
Chapter 7: Bureaucracy and Formal Organizations
Chapter 8: Deviance and Social Control
Part III: Social Inequality
Chapter 9: Global Stratification
Chapter 10: Social Class in the United States
Chapter 11: Sex and Gender
Chapter 12: Race and Ethnicity
Chapter 13: The Elderly
Part IV: Social Institutions
Chapter 14: The Economy
Chapter 15: Politics
Chapter 16: Marriage and Family
Chapter 17: Education
Chapter 18: Religion
Chapter 19: Medicine and Health
Part V: Social Change
Chapter 20: Population and Urbanization
Chapter 21: Collective Behavior and Social Movements
Chapter 22: Social Change and the Environment
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$69.95 | Buy Access
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Format: Alternate Binding
This item has been upgraded to Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach, 13th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$89.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-94282-4
$65.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-99227-0
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$98.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-99206-5
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$164.67 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-99189-1