For courses in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Construction, Architecture, Architectural Technology and Forestry.
This laboratory textbook reflects the most commonly used methods of both field and laboratory testing to evaluate soil properties for engineering purposes. Designed to conform to the latest information from the American Society for Testing and Materials, it familiarizes students with the standards that practicing engineers and architects cite in contracts and specifications. Each test includes a definition, scope, and objective and step-by-step procedures, data, and calculations sequences. Typical values for most tests are included, as well as completely worked numerical examples. This edition continues its simple and direct style and features updated testing procedures and a new chapter on in-field testing and soil exploration.
Table of Contents
2. Soil Exploration
3. Description and Identification of Soils (Visual-Manual Procedure)
4. Determining the Moisture Content of Soil and Rock by Mass (Conventional Oven Method)
5. Determining the Moisture Content of Soil ( Microwave Oven Method)
6. Determining the Specific Gravity of Soil
7. Determining the Liquid Limit of Soil
8. Determining the Plastic Limit and Plasticity Index of Soil
9. Determining the Shrinkage Limit of Soil
10. Grain-Size Analysis of Soil ( Including Both Mechanical and Hydrometer Analyses)
11. Classification of Soils for Engineering Purposes
12. Determining Moisture-Unit Weight Relations of Soil (Compaction Test)
13. Field Determination of Water (Moisture) Content of Soil by the Calcium Carbide Gas Pressure Tester
14. Determining the Density and Unit Weight of Soil in Place by the Sand-Cone Method
15. Determining the Density and Unit Weight of Soil in Place by the Rubber-Balloon Method
16. Determining the Density and Unit Weight of Soil in Place by Nuclear Methods
17. Percolation Test
18. Permeability Test for Granular Soils (Constant-Head Method)
19. Permeability Test for Fine-Grained and Granular Soils (Falling-Head Method)
20. Consolidation Test
21. Determining the Unconfined Compressive Strength of Cohesive Soil
22. Triaxial Compression Test
23. Direct Shear Test
24. California Bearing Ratio Test
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$63.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-501816-3