For all courses in statics and materials strength, and for courses on structural principles.
This fully updated text presents logically organized, clear coverage of all major topics in statics and strength of materials, including the latest developments in materials technology and manufacturing/construction techniques. A basic knowledge of algebra and trigonometry are the only mathematical skills it requires, although several optional sections using calculus are provided for instructors teaching in ABET accredited programs. A new introductory section on catastrophic failures shows students why these topics are so important, and 25 full-page, real-life application sidebars demonstrate the relevance of theory. To simplify understanding and promote student interest, the book is profusely illustrated.
Table of Contents
1. Basic Concepts
2. Resultant of Concurrent Forces in a Plane
3. Equilibrium of Concurrent Forces in a Plane
4. Resultant of Nonconcurrent Forces in a Plane
5. Equilibrium of a Rigid Body
6. Force Analysis of Structures and Machines
7. Forces in Space
9. Center of Gravity, Centroids, and Moments of Inertia of Areas
10. Internal Reactions; Stress for Axial Loads
11. Strain for Axial Loads: Hooke’s Law
12. Shear Stresses and Strains; Torsion
13. Shear Forces and Bending Moments in Beams
14. Bending and Shearing Stresses in Beams
15. Deflection of Beams Due to Bending
16. Combined Stresses and Mohr’s Circle
18. Bolted, Riveted, and Welded Structural Connections
ANSWERS TO EVEN-NUMBERED PROBLEMS
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Statics and Strength of Materials, CourseSmart eTextbook, 7th Edition
Format: Electronic Book
$52.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-612194-7