Stats: Data and Models, Third Edition, will intrigue and challenge students by encouraging them to think statistically and by emphasizing how statistics helps us understand the world. Praised by students and instructors alike for its readability and ease of comprehension, this text focuses on statistical thinking and data analysis. The authors draw from their wealth of consulting experience to craft compelling examples, which encourages students to learn how to reason with data. This book is organized into short chapters that concentrate on one topic at a time, offering instructors maximum flexibility in planning their courses.
The text is appropriate for a one-or-two semester introductory statistics course and includes advanced topics, such as Analysis of Variance (ANOVA), Multiple Regression, and Nonparametrics.
Table of Contents
I. Exploring and Understanding Data
1. Stats Starts Here
3. Displaying and Describing Categorical Data
4. Displaying and Summarizing Quantitative Data
5. Understanding and Comparing Distributions
6. The Standard Deviation as a Ruler and the Normal Model
Review of Part I: Exploring and Understanding Data
II. Exploring Relationships between Variables
7. Scatterplots, Association, and Correlation
8. Linear Regression
9. Regression Wisdom
10. Re-expressing Data: Get It Straight!
Review of Part II: Exploring Relationships Between Variables
III. Gathering Data
11. Understanding Randomness
12. Sample Surveys
13. Experiments and Observational Studies
Review of Part III: Gathering Data
IV. Randomness and Probability
14. From Randomness to Probability
15. Probability Rules!
16. Random Variables
17. Probability Models
Review of Part IV: Randomness and Probability
V. From the Data at Hand to the World At Large
18. Sampling Distribution Models
19. Confidence Intervals for Proportions
20. Testing Hypotheses about Proportions
21. More About Tests and Intervals
22. Comparing Two Proportions
Review of Part V: From the Data at Hand to the World at Large
VI. Learning about the World
23. Inferences about Means
24. Comparing Means
25. Paired Samples and Blocks
Review of Part VI: Learning About the World
VII. Inference When Variables are Related
26. Comparing Counts
27. Inferences for Regression
28. Analysis of Variance
29. Multifactor Analysis of Variance
30. Multiple Regression
31. Multiple Regression Wisdom
Review of Part VII: Inference When Variables Are Related
A. Selected Formulas
C. Photo Acknowledgements
These online resources are available at no cost.
Companion Website for Stats: Data & Models, 3rd Edition
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Stats: Data and Models, 4th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$99.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-69871-1
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-69261-0