By leading with practical data analysis and graphics, Stats: Modeling the World, Third Edition, engages students and gets them to do statistics and think statistically from the start. With the authors’ signature Think, Show, Tell problem-solving method, students learn what we can find in data, why we find it interesting and how to report it to others. Instructors praise this text as clear and accessible, while students report that they actually enjoy reading the book while learning how to do statistics. Additional examples with updated data make this new edition even easier to read and use.
Datasets and other resources (where applicable) for this book are available here.
CourseSmart textbooks do not include any media or print supplements that come packaged with the bound book.
Table of Contents
I. EXPLORING AND UNDERSTANDING DATA
1. Stats Start Here
3. Displaying and Describing Categorical Data
4. Displaying and Comparing Qualitative Data
5. Understanding and Comparing Distributions
6. The Standard Deviation as a Ruler and the Normal Model
II EXPLORING RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN VARIABLES
7. Scatterplots, Association, and Correlation
8. Linear Regression
9. Regression Wisdom
10. Re-expressing Data: Get it Straight!
III. GATHERING DATA
11. Understanding Randomness
12. Sample Surveys
13. Experiments and Observational Studies
IV. RANDOMNESS AND PROBABILITY
14. From Randomness to Probability
15. Probability Rules!
16. Random Variables
17. Probability Models
V. FROM THE DATA AT HAND TO THE WORLD AT LARGE
18. Sampling Distribution Models
19. Confidence Intervals for Proportions
20. Testing Hypotheses About Proportions
21. More About Tests and Intervals
22. Comparing Two Proportions
VI. LEARNING ABOUT THE WORLD
23. Inferences about Means
24. Comparing Means
25. Paired Samples and Blocks
VII. INFERENCE WHEN VARIABLES ARE RELATED
26. Comparing Counts
27. Inferences for Regression
28. Analysis of Variance (on DVD)
29. Multiple Regression (on DVD)
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Stats: Modeling the World, CourseSmart eTextbook, 3rd Edition
Format: Electronic Book
$70.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-61439-1