Referred to by readers as “the greatest language book I have every read,” and touted as the best overview of basic principles and strategies for English language teaching, this widely used guide is a one-stop introduction to teaching English to speakers of other languages. In Strategies for Teaching English Learners, readers get a concise, yet comprehensible overview of the basic principles, practices and methods for educating English learners. A breakthrough in language teaching and learning, this thought-provoking text includes coverage of second-language-acquisition issues and techniques, as well as attention to such controversial topics as the influence of culture on schooling, the cultural practices of schooling, and the sociopolitical context of education.
Table of Contents
1 Who Are English Learners and Their Teachers?
2 Critical Roles for Teachers
3 Views of Teaching and Learning
4 Performance-Based Learning
5 Learner Strategies and Learner-Focused Teaching
6 Oracy Instruction That Builds on the First Language
7 Literacy Instruction for English-Language Development
8 Learning Processes ands the Imaginary
9 Grammar through Integrated Language Skills and Wonderful English
10 Culturally Based Language Teaching
11 Discourse in the Classrooms of English Learners
12 Dual-Language Proficiency
13 Teaching English in Context
14 Building a Community of Learners
15 Project-Based Learning and Service Learning
Appendix A Influencing Language Policies to Benefit English Learners
Appendix B English Learners and Special Education
Appendix C Bibliography of Works Used for Visual Imaginary Dramatic Arts
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$48.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-313786-6