For introductory courses in swine science found in the animal science department.
This book meets the needs of anyone interested in today’s swine industry. This new edition continues to present readers with a comprehensive, yet practical overview of all phases of the swine industry. Fully updated, reorganized and revised, the seventh edition of this book provides readers with a comprehensive resource for understanding and being competitive in the pork production industry today.
The revised order of the chapters develops the book from an historical perspective and a foundation of statistical data on the importance of the pork industry.
Chapters on genetics and nutrition have been divided into basic and applied chapters, allowing students the opportunity to both understand the science and to move into practical applications of the principles learned.
The new edition includes the biology, production, processing and business aspects of swine. It covers large-scale commercial production as well as small-scale producers and sustainable production.
Table of Contents
I. HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES.
1. History and Development of the U. S. Swine Industry.
2. World and U. S. Swine and Pork Past, Present, and Future.
3. Breeds of Swine.
II. BASIC PRODUCTIONS CONSIDERATIONS.
4. Principles of Swine Genetics.
5. Applied Swine Genetics.
6. Fundamentals of Swine Nutrition.
7. Nutrient Requirements and Allowances, Diet Formulation, and Feeding Programs.
8. Alternative Feeds, Additives, and Feeding Management.
9. Grains and Other High-Energy Feedstuffs.
10. Protein and Amino Acid Feedstuffs for Swine.
11. Forages and Pasture Production.
12. Reproduction in Swine.
13. Swine Behavior and Their Environment.
14. Swine Health.
III. MANAGEMENT SKILLS.
15. Swine Production and Management.
16. Manure and Environmental Management.
17. Buildings and Equipment.
18. Fitting and Showing Swine.
IV. BUSINESS SKILLS.
19. Marketing Hogs.
20. Pork and Pork By-Products.
21. Business Aspects of Swine Production.
V. BUSINESS SKILLS.
22. Feed Composition Tables.
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Swine Science, CourseSmart eTextbook, 7th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$56.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-171469-4