Pre-service and in-service middle and secondary school teachers get a core set of instructional techniques in this evidence-based, practical resource designed to help them incorporate reading-related approaches into their classroom. The approaches are easy to follow, practical, effective, feature a strong empirical base and reflect the latest thinking in the field.
Table of Contents
Section 1: Teaching and Learning through Text
1 The Importance of Literacy in Content Areas
The Meaning of Literacy
Four Aspects of Literacy
The Implications of Content Literacy
Teacher Resistance to Content Literacy
Content Literacy and the Common Core Standards
Seeing Yourself as a Teacher
2 Literacy Processes
Reading and Writing as Language Processes
The Reading Process
The Writing Process
Making Sense Out of Content
3 Getting to Know Your Students, Your Materials, and Your Teaching
Three Dimensions of Classroom Assessment
What Is Reading Ability?
Levels of Reading Ability
Reading Ability and Readability
Judging the Match Between Students and Materials
Judging the Context of Instruction
Three Struggling Readers
4 Teaching for Diversity
Dimensions of Diversity
Meeting the Challenge of Diversity
Section 2: Prereading Strategies
5 Building Prior Knowledge
Judging Whether Prior Knowledge Is Adequate
Ways to Add and Activate Background Knowledge
6 Introducing Technical Vocabulary
The Nature of Words
The Myth That Words Teach Themselves
Section 3: Strategies for Guided Reading
7 Making Reading Purposeful
Who Should Set Purposes for Reading?
Ways of Setting Purposes
Varying and Combining Techniques
8 Reading Guides
Advantages of a Written Guide
When Should Reading Guides Be Used?
Types of Guides
Constructing a Reading Guide
Computerizing Reading Guides and Units
Using Reading Guides
9 Providing Time to Read: When, Where, and How?
Reading Assignments as Homework
Structuring Units to Allow Reading in Class
Major Lesson Formats
Section 4: Postreading Strategies
10 Questioning and Discussion
The Purposes of Discussion
Planning a Discussion
Conducting a Discussion
Alternatives to Teacher-Led Discussions
Discussion and Recitation: A Second Look
Discussion and Writing
11 Reinforcing and Extending Content Knowledge
Drilling versus Extending
Using Literacy to Reinforce and Extend
Reinforcing through Direct Instruction
Section 5: More Ways to Facilitate Learning through Text
12 Study Skills: Encouraging Independence in Content Literacy
Responsibility for Teaching Study Skills
Review and Homework
Strategies for Independent Reading
13 Student Attitudes: Encouraging Content Literacy
Factors That Affect Motivation
Assessing Reading Interests
Promoting Content Literacy in Your Classroom
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$41.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-309104-5