Offering a curriculum focus, this is one of the most accessible introductory early childhood texts. It’s an engaging introduction to practical developmentally appropriate practice.
Teaching Young Children is organized around five essential elements of early education—understanding child development, play, guidance, working with families and communities, and diversity. These elements are clearly identified and explored in the prose, through boxed features in every chapter, and in one chapter devoted to each essential element. The book also presents many concrete applications strategies so that you’ll know exactly what to do, including what traits and behaviors to observe and factors to consider and reflect upon in order to insure that you have a firm grasp on each child’s interest and abilities—essential to planning learning activities.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Overview of the Profession
Chapter 2: Historical Contexts
Chapter 3: Early Childhood Program Models
Chapter 4: Understanding How a Child Develops and Learns
Chapter 5: Play in Childhood
Chapter 6: Guiding Young Children
Chapter 7: Working with Families and Communities
Chapter 8: Diversity and Young Children
Chapter 9: Planning the Physical Environment: Indoors
Chapter 10: Planning the Physical Environment: Outdoors
Chapter 11: Developmentally Appropriate Curriculum
Chapter 12: Health and Wellness
Chapter 13: Supporting Emotional and Social Development
Chapter 14: Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies Learning
Chapter 15: Language and Literacy Learning
Chapter 16: The Creative Arts
Chapter 17: Technology and Young Children
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$79.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-307197-9
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$132.33 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-301481-5