Using case studies, applied examples, original source material, and her own inimitable pedagogical style, Nancy Murdock succinctly elucidates fifteen of the most influential and ground-breaking theories of psychotherapy and counseling. With this articulate guide to counseling theory, students will grasp complicated historical theory and not only understand the historical footing and uses of each, but will learn how these theories have informed each other and contributed to modern practice, while applying it to their own professional counseling experience. Examining the historical roots, evaluations, and lasting effects of Existential, Gestalt, Behavior, Cognitive, Reality, Feminist, Family, Narrative, and Solution-Focused Therapy and much more, this text equips students with the history and application necessary to bring theory to life.
New Features Include:
- A New Chapter on Mindfulness Approaches
- Extensive Coverage of Ethics in Therapy
- Addition of Outcome and Theory-testing Research for Approaches to Therapy
- Coverage of Psychotherapy Outcome Research and Evidence-Based Treatment
- MyCounselingLab connects course content to video- and case-based real world scenarios, and provides:
- Building Counseling Skills exercises that offer opportunities for students to develop and practice skills critical to their success as professional helpers. Hints and feedback provide scaffolding and reinforce key concepts.
- Assignments & Activities assess students’ understanding of key concepts and skill development.
- Multiple-Choice Quizzes help students gauge their understanding of important topics and prepare for success on licensure examinations.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Theory Is a Good Thing
Chapter 2: Psychoanalysis
Chapter 3: Neoanalytic Approaches
Chapter 4: Individual Psychology
Chapter 5: Person-Centered Therapy
Chapter 6: Existential Psychotherapy
Chapter 7: Gestalt Therapy
Chapter 8: Behavior Therapy
Chapter 9: Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy
Chapter 10: Cognitive Therapy
Chapter 11: Reality Therapy
Chapter 12: Feminist Therapy
Chapter 13: Family Systems Theory
Chapter 14: Solution-Focused Therapy
Chapter 15: Narrative Therapy
Chapter 16: Mindfulness Approaches
Chapter 17: Conclusion
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$63.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-268530-6
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$101.80 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-301285-9