Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy: Systems, Strategies, and Skills offers an innovative look at emerging and well-established counseling theories. Organizing theories into four broad themes (Background, Emotions, Thoughts, and Actions), authors underscore key similarities and differences in each approach. Moving beyond a traditional theories book, chapters include skill development sections that connect counseling theories with clinical practice. Fully revised, this edition brings a stronger multicultural focus, includes over 400 new research references, and offers new activities to sharpen clinical understanding.
MyCounselingLab with Video-Enhanced Pearson eText. *
Included in this package is access to MyCounselingLab with the new Video-Enhanced eText for Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy, exclusively from Pearson. Experience all the advantages of the MyCounselingLab with Video-Enhanced eText along with all the benefits of print for less than a print bound book.
MyCounselingLab delivers customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics to help prepare students for the classroom.
MyCounselingLab provides instructors and students access to the video-enhanced Pearson eText, which includes:
- Full-color online chapters with dynamic videos that show what course concepts look like in real classrooms, model good teaching practice, and expand upon chapter concepts. Over 34 video links, chosen by our authors and other subject-matter experts, are embedded right in context of the content you are reading.
- Instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad and Android tablets.**
- Other features such as note taking and sharing, highlighting, search and more.
*To access, your Instructor must set up a course, provide you with a Course ID.
**The Pearson eText App is available for free on Google Play and in the App Store.* Requires Android OS 3.1 – 4, a 7” or 10” tablet or iPad iOS 5.0 or newer
Table of Contents
PART ONE: PROVIDING EFFECTIVE COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY
1. Contexts of Effective Treatment
PART TWO: TREATMENT SYSTEMS EMPHASIZING BACKGROUND
2. Overview of Background-Focused Treatment Systems
3. Sigmund Freud and Classic Psychoanalysis
4. Alfred Adler and Individual Psychology
5. Post- and Neo-Freudians: Analytical Psychology, Ego Psychology, Object Relations, and Self Psychology
6. Brief Psychodynamic Therapy
PART THREE: TREATMENT SYSTEMS EMPHASIZING EMOTIONS AND SENSATIONS
7. Overview of Emotion-Focused Treatment Systems
8. Carl Rogers and Person-Centered Counseling
9. Existential Therapy
10. Gestalt Therapy
11. Emerging Approaches Emphasizing Emotions and Sensations
PART FOUR: TREATMENT SYSTEMS EMPHASIZING THOUGHTS
12. Overview of Thought-Focused Treatment Systems
13. Albert Ellis and Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy
14. Aaron Beck and Cognitive Therapy
PART FIVE: TREATMENT SYSTEMS EMPHASIZING ACTIONS
15. Overview of Action-Focused Treatment Systems
16. Behavior Therapy and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
17. Reality Therapy
PART SIX: OTHER TREATMENT APPROACHES
18. Family Systems Approaches
19. Integrative Therapies
20. Solidifying Understanding of Treatment Systems