For undergraduate/graduate courses in Child Development, Lifespan Development, and Theories of Development.
The result of extensive scholarship and consultation with leading scholars, this text introduces students to twenty-four theorists and compares and contrasts their theories on how we develop as individuals. Emphasizing the theories that build upon the developmental tradition established by Rousseau, this text also covers theories in the environmental/learning tradition.
Table of Contents
2. Gesell's Maturational Theory.
3. Ethological Theories: Darwin, Lorenz, Tinbergen, and Bowlby and Ainsworth.
4. Montessori's Educational Philosophy.
5. Werner's Organismic and Comparative Theory.
6. Piaget's Cognitive-Developmental Theory.
7. Kohlberg's Stages of Moral Development.
8. Learning Theory: Pavlov, Watson, and Skinner.
9. Bandura's Social Learning Theory.
10. Vygotsky's Social-Historical Theory of Cognitive Development.
11. Freud's Psychoanalytic Theory.
12. Erikson and the Eight Stages of Life.
13. Mahler's Separation/Individuation Theory.
14. A Case Study in Psychoanalytic Treatment: Bettelheim on Autism.
15. Schachtel on Childhood Experiences.
16. Jung's Theory of Adulthood.
17. Chomsky's Theory of Language Development.
18. Conclusion: Humanistic Psychology and Developmental Theory.
Epilogue: A Developmental Perspective on the Standards Movement.
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$42.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-81047-5