Integrates the political, social, military, and economic forces of the Civil War
Absorbing and accessible, This Terrible War : The Civil War and Its Aftermath deals with the American Civil War in a realistic and unromantic light, discussing the hard experiences of ordinary people and the uncertain decisions of military and political leaders. The title explores both the years leading up to the Civil War, and the war's aftermath in the North and the South. The discussion extends to 1896, reframing the period of the Civil War.
NOTE: This is the standalone book.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Commonalities and Conflict: Slavery and the American Republic
Chapter 2: Political Collapse: 1848-1860
Chapter 3: Southerners Secede and Amateurs Go to War: December 1860-December 1861
Chapter 4: Discovering the Scope of the War: 1861-1862
Chapter 5: Reckoning with Slavery, Reckoning with Freedom
Chapter 6: Attack and Die: November 1862-January 1863
Chapter 7: The Other War
Chapter 8: An Inconclusive Year: 1863
Chapter 9: A War of Exhaustion: 1864-1865
Chapter 10: Mixed Messages from the Victors: Northern Politics and Southern Reconstruction: 1863-1868
Chapter 11: White and Black Reconstruction in the South: 1865-1872
Chapter 12: Destroying Reconstruction
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$44.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-93377-8