Following in the footsteps of the web, Web 2.0, and the iPod, Ubiquitous Computing (“UbiComp”) is the next game-changing technology. In Ubiquitous Business, leading expert Bo Begole, the director of PARC’s UbiComp Center, shows executives, technology managers, and entrepreneurs how to successfully incorporate UbiComp into their own products, services, and strategies. Begole introduces the technologies of UbiComp, shows how they fit together, and identifies the challenges and opportunities they present. Next, he answers the key questions decision-makers and strategists ask most often about UbiComp, including:
- What is it, why does it matter, and how will it impact my business?
- What industries will be most affected first?
- Which parts of my organization will UbiComp change most?
- What UbiComp solutions should we consider for our internal business processes?
- How should I position my company for these transformations?
- What barriers must we overcome and which barriers can we erect for our competitors? What should I build, partner, or buy?
- What barriers does my company need to overcome to adopt a UbiComp-based business?
Table of Contents
About the Author xi
Chapter 1 Introduction: Reading the Waves 1
Section I: Background and Capabilities of Ubiquitous Computing
Chapter 2 Profound Technologies 7
Chapter 3 Harmless if Used as Directed 31
Chapter 4 Still Stupid after All These Years 53
Chapter 5 Missing Ingredients 83
Section II: Business Opportunities
Chapter 6 Making Choices 101
Chapter 7 The Soft Sell: Personalized Marketing 111
Chapter 8 Breaking Out of the Supply Chain Gang 137
Chapter 9 Discontinuous Connections 173
Chapter 10 Coordination 187
Chapter 11 Clear Sailing 201
Chapter 12 Ubiquitous Business 229
Appendix Further Reading 241
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$17.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-265631-3