Continuing Attention to Enduring Issues in Psychology
Understanding Psychology, 10th edition highlights the enduring issues that cut across and unite all subfields of psychology- Person-Situation, Nature-Nurture, Stability-Change, Diversity-Universality, and Mind-Body- to show students the surprising unity and coherence of the diverse and exciting science of psychology.
This 14-chapter program presents a scientific, accurate, and current overview of the fundamental concepts of psychology in a clear and accessible language, with significant emphasis on applications of psychology. It is current without being trendy.
A better teaching and learning experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience– for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Personalize Learning - The new MyPsychLab delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Improve Critical Thinking – Five enduring themes are woven throughout the text to help students connect ideas across chapters, while critical thinking questions within chapters push students to a deeper understanding of the material.
- Engage Students – Applying Psychology exercises in each chapter allow students to connect what they have learned to real-life problems and situations, such as how to use the principles of psychology to tackle environmental conservation.
- Explore Research – This introductory book references relevant research reflecting how psychology is both rapidly evolving and remaining the same. Using the Experiment’s Tool in the new MyPsychLab, students participate in classic experiment simulations to experience the research process firsthand.
- Support Instructors – This book is supported by Pearson’s unrivaled instructor resources for introductory psychology, including the new 17 episode MyPsychLab video series, an expansive class-tested Test Bank, interactive PowerPoints, an easy to use Instructor’s Manual, Clicker questions and support for a broad range of learning management systems. All of these materials are available to be packaged with the text upon request.
Note: MyPsychLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MyPsychLab, please visit: www.mypsychlab.com or you can purchase a ValuePack of the text + MyPsychLab (at no additional cost): ValuePack ISBN-10: 0205843387/ ValuePack ISBN-13: 9780205843381.
Table of Contents
In this Section:
1. Brief Table of Contents
2. Full Table of Contents
1. BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1 The Science of Psychology
Chapter 2 The Biological Basis of Behavior
Chapter 3 Sensation and Perception
Chapter 4 States of Consciousness
Chapter 5 Learning
Chapter 6 Memory
Chapter 7 Cognition and Mental Abilities
Chapter 8 Motivation and Emotion
Chapter 9 Life-Span Development
Chapter 10 Personality
Chapter 11 Stress and Health Psychology
Chapter 12 Psychological Disorders
Chapter 13 Therapies
Chapter 14 Social Psychology
Appendix A Measurement and Statistical Methods
Appendix B Psychology Applied to Work
2. FULL TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: The Science of Psychology
What is Psychology?
The Growth of Psychology
Research Methods in Psychology
Ethics and Psychology
Research on Humans and Animals
Careers in Psychology
Chapter 2: The Biological Basis of Behavior
Neurons: The Messengers
The Central Nervous System
The Peripheral Nervous System
The Endocrine System
Genes, Evolution, and Behavior
Chapter 3: Sensation and Perception
The Nature of Sensation
The Other Senses
Chapter 4: States of Consciousness
Meditation and Hypnosis
Chapter 5: Learning
Factors Shared by Classical and Operant Conditioning
Chapter 6: Memory
The Sensory Registers
Short Term Memory
Long Term Memory
The Biology of Memory
Special Topics in Memory
Chapter 7: Cognition and Mental Abilities
Building Blocks of Thought
Language, Thought, and Culture
Nonhuman Thought and Language
Intelligence and Mental Abilities
Heredity, Environment, and Intelligence
Answers to Problems in the Chapter
Answers to Intelligence Test Questions
Chapter 8: Motivation and Emotion
Perspectives on Motivation
Hunger and Thirst
Other Important Motives
Chapter 9: Life-Span Development
Methods in Development
Infancy and Childhood
Chapter 10: Personality
Humanistic Personality Theories
Cognitive-Social Learning Theories
Chapter 11: Stress and Health Psychology
Sources of Stress
Coping with Stress
How Stress Affects Health
The Well-Adjusted Person
Chapter 12: Psychological Disorders
Perspectives on Psychological Disorders
Psychosomatic and Somatoform Disorders
Sexual and Gender-Identity Disorders
Gender and Cultural Differences in Psychological Disorders
Chapter 13: Therapies
Effectiveness of Psychotherapy
Institutionalization and Its Alternatives
Client Diversity and Treatment
Chapter 14: Social Psychology
Appendix A: Measurement and Statistical Methods
Scales of Measurement
Measurements of Central Tendency
The Normal Curve
Measures of Correlation
Using Statistics to Make Predictions
Using Meta-Analysis in Psychological Research
Appendix B: Psychology Applied to Work
Matching People to Jobs
Measuring Performance on the Job
Issues of Fairness in Employment
Behavior within Organizations
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$47.40 | Add to Cart
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Understanding Psychology with DSM-5 Update, 10th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$75.60 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-85302-1
$55.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-85303-8
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$71.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-84845-4
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$188.40 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-84616-0