Updated it its 14th edition, Understanding Public Policy focuses on the policy challenges confronting the Obama administration. This edition provides students with a close up look at the American healthcare system, current economic policies, issues of homeland security and defense policy among many other current event and issues shaping public policy today. The gold-standard for introductory public policy texts, Understanding Public Policy is designed to provide readers with concrete tools for both understanding and analyzing public policy.
Table of Contents
1: Policy Analysis: What Governments Do, Why They Do It, and What Difference it Makes
2: Models of Politics: Some Help in Thinking About Public Policy
3: The Policymaking Process: Decision-Making Activities
4: Policy Evaluation: Finding Out What Happens After a Law Is Passed
5: Federalism and State Policies: Institutional Arrangements and Policy Variations
6: Criminal Justice: Rationality and Irrationality in Public Policy
7: Welfare: The Search for Rational Strategies
8: Health Care: Attempting A Rational-Comprehensive Transformation
9: Education: Group Struggles
10: Economic Policy: Challenging Incrementalism
11: Tax Policy: Battling the Special Interests
12: International Trade and Immigration: Elite-Mass Conflict
13: Energy and the Environment: Externalities and Interests
14: Civil Rights: Elite and Mass Interaction
15: Defense Policy: Strategies for Serious Games
16: Homeland Security: Terrorism and Nondeterrable Threats
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$56.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-87054-7
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$68.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-92181-2