The gold-standard for introductory public policy texts, Understanding Public Policy is designed to provide students with concrete tools for both understanding and analyzing public policy.
The new fourteenth edition of Understanding Public Policy focuses on the policy challenges confronting the Obama administration. This edition provides students with a close up look at the American healthcare system, current economic policies, issues of homeland security and defense policy among many other current event and issues shaping public policy today.
Teaching & Learning Experience
- Personalize Learning–MySearchLab, which delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals. With a Pearson eText, multiple choice practice quizzes, flashcards, learning objectives and associated media, MySearchLab allows students to utilize what works best for them.
- Improve Skill Development and Application– Pedagogical features including visual representations of concepts and theories give students an alternative means of understanding course content.
- Engage Students– With a new four-color design, streamlined and updated coverage, and a vibrant new photo program, this edition engages students from the first page. Focusing on current events that students are experiencing in their everyday lives, this book challenges them to analyze the impact and results of policy-making in today’s world.
- Explore Examples of Contemporary Public Policy- With special attention paid to the current economic state of our country and the Obama Administration’s recent impact on policy, students are presented with examples of the current events happening around them through the lens of public policy theories.
- Emphasize Learning Outcomes — Clearly defined Learning Objectives for each chapter are provided in the MySearchLab. Additionally, students are provided with end-of-chapter summaries to assist with exam preparation and assignments.
- Understand Theory and Research — Additional websites for further research and understanding have been included in the end-of-chapter material giving students a place to go for papers and assignments. The MySearchLab offers step-by-step tutorials offering overviews of the entire writing and research process, as well as quizzes for students to test and evaluate their understanding of course content.
- Support Instructors– A strong supplements package includes MySearchLab for student studying, complete with chapter learning objectives, multiple choice quizzes, flashcards, and videos. Instructors also have access to an Instructor’s Manual and Testbank, as well as PowerPoint slides.
MySearchLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MySearchLab, please visit: www.mysearchlab.com.
Table of Contents
1: Policy Analysis: What Governments Do, Why They Do It, and What Difference it Makes
2: Models of Politics: Some Help in Thinking About Public Policy
3: The Policymaking Process: Decision-Making Activities
4: Policy Evaluation: Finding Out What Happens After a Law Is Passed
5: Federalism and State Policies: Institutional Arrangements and Policy Variations
6: Criminal Justice: Rationality and Irrationality in Public Policy
7: Welfare: The Search for Rational Strategies
8: Health Care: Attempting A Rational-Comprehensive Transformation
9: Education: Group Struggles
10: Economic Policy: Challenging Incrementalism
11: Tax Policy: Battling the Special Interests
12: International Trade and Immigration: Elite-Mass Conflict
13: Energy and the Environment: Externalities and Interests
14: Civil Rights: Elite and Mass Interaction
15: Defense Policy: Strategies for Serious Games
16: Homeland Security: Terrorism and Nondeterrable Threats
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Understanding Public Policy, CourseSmart eTextbook, 14th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$64.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-23883-5