For introductory courses in Public Health and US Health System/Health Policy intended for community college students and lower-division four-year students enrolled in allied health programs.
This is the most readable, student-friendly overview of the US healthcare system. Written simply and informally, it focuses on breadth rather than non-essential depth, giving even inexperienced students the knowledge they need to succeed. It addresses these questions: “What is this business called healthcare?” “How do we pay for healthcare?” “Who provides healthcare?” and “Where and how is healthcare provided?” as well as related issues ranging from pharmaceuticals to research and prevention. This edition is fully updated for the latest trends, including the 2010 healthcare reform legislation and the newest available statistics. It also adds new chapters on ethics, as well as extensive new coverage of business careers in healthcare.
Table of Contents
PART I. OVERVIEW AND PAYMENT
1. Health and Healthcare in America: An Introduction
2. The Business Side of Healthcare
3. The Payment Process: Insurance and Third-Party Payers
4. The Payment Process: Government Payment Programs
PART II. EMPLOYMENT IN HEALTHCARE
5. Healthcare Providers: Physicians and Nurses
6. Other Clinical and Non-Clinical Healthcare Providers
PART III. THE DELIVERY SYSTEMS
7. Offices, Clinics, and Hospitals
8. Tertiary Care: The Long-Term Care Continuum
9. Mental Health Services: A Combination of Systems
10. The Public Health System: The Government’s Role
PART IV. HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND ISSUES
11. Medical Technology, Pharmaceuticals, and Pharmacological Research
12. Healthcare Research and Prevention
13. Cultural Competency, Health Literacy, and Healthcare Ethics
14. International Healthcare
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$31.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-210513-2