Urbanization: An Introduction to Urban Geography, Third Edition captures the changes in the nature and outcomes of urbanization processes for people, as well as the development of new ways of thinking about urban geography. Unraveling the interlocking processes of urbanization, Knox and McCarthy present a vivid and meaningful explanation of constantly changing urban geographies and urban life. This framework supports the discussion of recent changes while addressing much of the “traditional” subject matter of urban geography. The book’s dynamic approach also allows for integration of both theories and facts, where key concepts and theories are presented in relation to prior events and ideas—providing a coherent and comprehensive introduction to urban geography that is both a historical and process-oriented approach. With a U.S. focus that also offers global context and comparative international perspectives, the authors examine urban trends and their outcomes in both developed and less-developed countries to understand, analyze, and interpret the landscapes, economies, and communities of towns and cities around the world.
Table of Contents
1. Urbanization and Urban Geography
II FOUNDATIONS AND HISTORY OF URBANIZATION
2. The Origins and Growth of Cities and Urban Life
3. Foundations: The U.S. Urban System and its Cities
4. Urban Systems and Cities in Transition
III URBANIZATION IN THE LESS DEVELOPED COUNTRIES
5. Urbanization in the Less Developed Countries
6. Urban Form and Land Use in the Less Developed Countries
7. Urban Problems and Responses in the Less Developed Countries
IV PROCESSES OF URBAN CHANGE
8. The Urban Development Process
9. How Neighborhoods Change
10. The Politics of Change: Urbanization and Urban Governance
11. Urban Policy and Planning
V PEOPLE AND PLACES
12. The Residential Kaleidoscope
13. The City as Text: Architecture and Urban Design
14. Urbanization, Urban Life, and Urban Spaces
15. Problems of Urbanization
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$75.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-82031-0