In this new edition of the most comprehensive vocabulary text available, pre-service, novice, and experienced middle and high school teachers get invaluable tools to share with their students that will enable them to learn thousands of words independently. With an emphasis on developing students’ word consciousness–the knowledge and predisposition to learn, appreciate, and effectively use words–the book addresses three broad aspects of vocabulary learning and instruction: context-based instruction, word-specific instruction, and generative morphology instruction, as a means to enabling teachers to teach vocabulary their way.
The new edition features an expanded author team; separate chapter for the major disciplines/subjects, including a separate chapter on Art, Music, Physical Education, and Career and Technical Education; a new, easily-accessible format presenting the strategies, activities, and assessments; chapter notes directing readers to the PDToolkit online resource, new Activity Selection Charts in each chapter; referencing to the Common Core Standards in each activity and strategy; updated research throughout; a new look at Academic Language; and a revised ESL chapter with a strong new multilingual focus.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: What Every Teacher Needs to Know about Words and about Teaching Them
Chapter 2: Essential Vocabulary Strategies and Activities
Chapter 3: Vocabulary Assessment and Classroom Organization
Chapter 4: Vocabulary Instruction with English Learners
Chapter 5: Academic Vocabulary in English Language Arts
Chapter 6: Academic Vocabulary in Social Studies
Chapter 7: Academic Vocabulary in Mathematics
Chapter 8: Academic Vocabulary in Science
Chapter 9: Academic Vocabulary in Art, Music, Physical Education, and Career and Technical Education
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$18.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-374694-5