Expert recommendations, pragmatically applied.
Automate system administration using Windows PowerShell best practices—and optimize your operational efficiency. With this practical guide, Windows PowerShell expert and instructor Ed Wilson delivers field-tested tips, real-world examples, and candid advice culled from administrators across a range of business and technical scenarios. If you’re an IT professional with Windows PowerShell experience, this book is ideal.
Discover how to:
- Use Windows PowerShell to automate Active Directory tasks
- Explore available WMI classes and methods with CIM cmdlets
- Identify and track scripting opportunities to avoid duplication
- Use functions to encapsulate business logic and reuse code
- Design your script’s best input method and output destination
- Test scripts by checking their syntax and performance
- Choose the most suitable method for running remote commands
- Manage software services with Desired State Configuration
Table of Contents
- Understanding the basics of Windows PowerShell
- Chapter 1: Survey of Windows PowerShell capabilities
- Chapter 2: Using the CIM cmdlets
- Planning for scripting
- Chapter 3: Using the Active Directory module
- Chapter 4: Identifying scripting opportunities
- Chapter 5: Configuring the script environment
- Chapter 6: Avoiding scripting pitfalls
- Chapter 7: Tracking scripting opportunities
- Designing the script
- Chapter 8: Designing the script
- Chapter 9: Designing help for scripts
- Chapter 10: Designing modules
- Chapter 11: Handling input and output
- Chapter 12: Handling errors
- Chapter 13: Testing scripts
- Chapter 14: Documenting scripts
- Deploying the script
- Chapter 15: Managing the execution policy
- Chapter 16: Running scripts
- Chapter 17: Versioning scripts
- Chapter 18: Logging results
- Chapter 19: Troubleshooting scripts
- Chapter 20: Using the Windows PowerShell ISE
- Chapter 21: Using Windows PowerShell remoting and jobs
- Chapter 22: Using Windows PowerShell Workflow
- Chapter 23: Using the Windows PowerShell DSC
- About the author
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
eBook (Watermarked) ?
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$29.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-7356-9478-1