The developmentally driven Words Their Way® instructional approach is a phenomenon in word study, providing a practical way to study words with students. The keys to this successful, research-based approach are to know your students’ literacy progress, organize for instruction, and implement word study. The Fifth Edition features an innovative redesign and introduces technology integration aligning text to all new classroom video, an interactive classroom assessment application, prepared and create-your-own word sorts, games, and more specific to each chapter. It gives you all the tools you need to carry out word study instruction that will motivate and engage your students, and help them to succeed in literacy learning. Ordered in a developmental format, Words Their Way® complements the use of any existing phonics, spelling, and vocabulary curricula.
We invite you to see what’s new in Words Their Way® …
- Ground-breaking online PDToolkit for Words Their Way®gives educators access to:
- all new how-to classroom videos
- interactive classroom assessment tool featuring new user-friendly navigation
- prepared and create-your-own word sorts
- games, templates, and more!
- Complimentary 12-month access packaged with each new Fifth Edition
- To learn more, please visit: http://pdtoolkit.pearson.com
- Innovative redesign of the book introduces technology integration aligning text to online videos, sorts, and assessments specific to each chapter.
- Unprecedented inclusion of progress monitoring throughout the book.
- Brand-new continuum of support model offers tips for better planning and carrying out word study lessons in the classroom.
- Expanded discussion on oral vocabulary, secondary instruction, writing, and early/middle/late phases in the derivational relations stage.
- Updated collection of classroom activities helps build the skills students need to move on to the next developmental stage.
- New “Resources for Implementing Word Study in Your Classroom” provides information about resources teachers can use in their instruction.
- Enhanced coverage of English learners provides tips and strategies for modifying instruction.
Classroom-ready appendices contain all the assessment instruments described in Chapter 2 as well as word sorts, sound boards, and game templates to get instruction underway. (Note: Includes reproducibles and perforated pages.)
Table of Contents
1. Developmental Word Knowledge
2. Getting Started: The Assessment of Orthographic Development
3. Organizing for Word Study: Principles and Practices
4. Word Study for Learners in the Emergent Stage
5. Word Study for Beginners in the Letter Name–Alphabetic Stage
6. Word Study for Transitional Learners in the Within Word Pattern Stage
7. Word Study for Intermediate Readers and Writers: The Syllables and Affixes Stage
8. Word Study for Advanced Readers and Writers: The Derivational Relations Stage
APPENDIX A: ASSESSMENT MATERIALS
APPENDIX B: SOUNDBOARDS
APPENDIX C: PICTURES FOR SORTS AND GAMES
APPENDIX D: SAMPLE WORD SORTS BY SPELLING STAGE
APPENDIX E: WORD LISTS
APPENDIX F: GAMES AND TEMPLATES FOR SORTS
APPENDIX G: RESOURCES