Introduces basic components of working with people–observation, assessment, communication, and intervention
Working with People presents an engaging discussion of the theoretical foundation of human service practice, promotes the development of practice skills, integrates the topics of advocacy throughout, and encourages social work students to be more reflective in their work.
Teaching & Learning Experience
- Personalize Learning – MySearchLab delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Improve Critical Thinking – Encourages students to apply theory to practice.
- Engage Students – Provides case examples emphasizing diversity throughout, providing students with an opportunity to put theory into practice.
- Explore Current Issues – The text incorporates important topics including advocacy, feminist psychology, the Internet and technology, and much more.
- Support Instructors – An Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank, Computerized Test Bank (MyTest), Blackboard Test Item File, WebCT Test Item File, MySearchLab with Pearson eText, and PowerPoint presentations are included in the outstanding supplements package.
Note: MySearchLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MySearchLab, please visit:
Table of Contents
IN THIS SECTION:
BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Chapter 1. Setting the Stage
Chapter 2. Understanding Ourselves
Chapter 3. Understanding the Human Condition
Chapter 4. Working with Ethnic Diversity in a Pluralistic Society
Chapter 5. Developing and Maintaining Communication with People
Chapter 6. Establishing and Using Helping Relationships
Chapter 7. Using the Basic Problem-Solving Process
Chapter 8. Developing an Eclectic Approach to Practice
Chapter 9. Utilizing Skills and Techniques
Chapter 10. Working with People in Groups
Chapter 11. Dealing with Vulnerability, Dependency, and Resistance
Chapter 12. Getting It All Together
References and Related Readings
COMPREHENSIVE TABLE OF CONTENTS:
1. Setting the Stage
The Increasing Size and Changing Makeup of the Population
The Permanent Face of Pluralism
The Toll of HIV/AIDS
The Changing Healthcare Scene and Managed Care
Changes in the Family
Continuing Poverty and the Growth of the Working Poor
The Impact of the Internet and Electronic Information Technologies
The Trend to Privatize Human Services
The Indelible March of Terrorism
2. Understanding Ourselves
The Nature of Human Service
Learning to Know and to Use One’s Self
The Impact of Culture
The Impact of Personal Needs
How Do I Think and Feel about Myself?
How Do I Deal with My Own Fundamental Needs?
What Is My Value System, and How Does It Define My Behavior and My Relationships with Other People?
How Do I Relate to the Society in Which I Live and Work?
What Is My Lifestyle?
What Is My Basic Philosophy?
What Do I Present–and Represent–to Those with Whom I Work?
3. Understanding the Human Condition
The Biological Heritage
The Social Heritage
The Spiritual Heritage
The Social Group
The Peer Group
The Importance of Socialization
The Person as an Individual
Humanistic Holistic Theories
“Personal” Personality Theory
The Concept of the Tripartite Personality
Adaptation and Execution
The Concept of Defense Mechanisms
The Concept of Developmental Stages
The Concepts of Stress, Balance, and Coping Ability
4. Working with Ethnic Diversity in a Pluralistic Society
The Language of Ethnic Diversity
Ethnic Diversity: Population Highlights about Our Pluralistic Society
Expressions of Ethnicity
Preparation of Workers
The Use of Systems Theory
Applying Concepts from Systems Theory to Working with People
Families as Systems
Putting It All Together: Using a Systems Perspective with an Ethnic-Sensitive Focus
The Worker’s Social Responsibility
5. Developing and Maintaining Communication with People
Basics for Clear Communication
Tone of Voice
Gestures and Movements
Communication by Symbols
Communication of Ideas
Communication in Interview and Discussion
6. Establishing and Using Helping Relationships
Characteristics of Helping Relationships
Purposeful, Time-Limited, and Unequal
Honest, Realistic, Responsible, and Safe
The Phases of a Helping Relationship
Phase 1: The Beginning
Phase 2: The Middle
Phase 3: The Termination
7. Using the Basic Problem-Solving Process
Why and How People Change
Structure of the Helping Process
Definition of the Problem
Setting of Goals
Selection of Alternative Methods and an Initial Mode of Intervention
Establishment of a Contract
Action Leading to Desired Goal
Continuation or Termination
Using the Problem-Solving Process When Ethnic Differences Are Involved
Two Case Studies in Use of the Basic Process
Basic Process 1
Basic Process 2
8. Developing an Eclectic Approach to Practice
Development of a Working Model
Illustrations of Models for Eclecticism
Specialist or Generalist?
9. Utilizing Skills and Techniques
Advocacy and Social Action
Advice Giving and Counseling
Activities and Programs
Reward and Punishment
Role Rehearsal and Demonstration
10. Working with People in Groups
Common Characteristics of All Groups
Working with Natural Groups
Guide for the Formation of Groups
The Worker and the Group
Human Service Teams
What Is a Team?
How Are Teams Formed?
Team Size and Composition
Working Process of Teams
A Yardstick for Team Analysis
11. Dealing with Vulnerability, Dependency, and Resistance
The Flexible Continuum of Interdependence
Two Aspects of Interdependence
The Role of the Worker
The Role of the Worker
Use of Resources
12. Getting It All Together
Being Aware of Social Change
Securing Basic and Ongoing Learning
Selecting a Field of Practice
Maintaining a Personal Value System
Developing a Healthy Personal Life
References and Related Readings
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Working with People: The Helping Process, CourseSmart eTextbook, 9th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$29.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-15065-6