For courses in World Religions or Comparative Religions.
This introduction to the world's religions provides an orientation to the study of religion; surveys the stages of development, worldviews, and current situations of the major world religions; and discusses the ways these religions respond to contemporary ethical issues. It also presents a sampling of new religious movements and looks to the possible ways the world's religions may interact in the 21st century. Its distinctive “framework for understanding” religious worldviews allows students to compare and contrast the teachings of religions objectively.
Table of Contents
(NOTE: Each chapter concludes with a Chapter Summary, Questions for Discussion and Reflection, and Sources and Suggestions for Further Study sections.)
1. An Introduction to Religion and the Study of Religion.
II. THE WORLD'S RELIGIONS–BASIC HISTORIES AND WORLD VIEWS.
2. Indigenous Religions–Quest for Harmony.
3. Hinduism–Many Paths to the Summit.
4. Theravada Buddhism–The Middle Way.
5. Jainism–The Way of Non Injury.
6. Daoism–The Way of Nature.
7. Confucianism–The Way of Virtue.
8. Mahayana Buddhism–The Great Vehicle and Vajrayana Buddhism–The Thunderbolt Vehicle
9. Shinto–The Way of the Kami.
10. Judaism–The Way of Torah.
11. Christianity–The Way of Jesus Christ.
12. Islam–The Way of Submission to Allah.
13. Sikhism–The Way of the Guru.
14. The New Religious Movements–Renewal and Innovation.
III. THE WORLD'S RELIGIONS AND CONTEMPORARY ETHICAL ISSUES.
15. The Ecological and Economic Crises–Humans and Resources.
16. War and Capital Punishment–Society and Violence.
17. Abortion and Euthanasia–Life and Death.
18. Gender and Sexual Orientation–Roles and Identity.
19. The Future of the World's Religions.
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$27.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-76010-7