The revolutionary approach of D.J. Henry’s Writing for Life offers a visually rich, high-interest, and down-to-earth approach that reinforces the writing process while showing students how to take responsibility for their learning.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Getting Ready to Write
1. Preparing to Learn about Writing
2. Thinking through the Writing Process
Part 2: Using Patterns of Organization to Develop Paragraphs
3. Understanding the Paragraph
4. The Descriptive Paragraph
5. The Narrative Paragraph
6. The Process Paragraph
7. The Example Paragraph
8. The Classification Paragraph
9. The Comparison and Contrast Paragraph
10. The Definition Paragraph
11. The Cause and Effect Paragraph
12. The Persuasive Paragraph
Part 3: Writing an Essay
13. Understanding the Essay
14. Effective Introductions, Conclusions, and Titles
15. Using Patterns of Organization to Develop Essays
16. Research Strategies and Resources
Part 4: The Basic Sentence
17. Nouns and Pronouns
18. Adjectives and Adverbs
20. Subjects, Verbs, and Simple Sentences
21. Compound and Complex Sentences
Part 5: Recognizing and Avoiding Errors
22. Comma Splices and Run-ons
24. Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers
25. Subject-Verb Agreement
Part 6: Punctuation and Mechanics
26. The Comma
27. The Apostrophe
28. Quotation Marks
29. End Punctuation
Part 7: Writing Clearly
32. Sentence Variety
33. Sentence Clarity
35. Revising for Effective Expression
Part 8: Reading Selections
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780134008776
Includes this title packaged with:
- MyWritingLab Generic without Pearson eText -- Glue-In Access Card
. . Pearson Education
- MyWritingLab Generic -- Inside Star Sticker
. . Pearson Education
- Thinking Through the Test: A Study Guide for the Florida College Basic Exit Tests - Writing - without answers, 4th Edition
Elizabeth Bellas, Peri Poland
$151.00 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$54.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84617-4
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$97.33 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84221-3