This edition features the exact same content as the traditional text in a convenient, three-hole- punched, loose-leaf version. Books à la Carte also offer a great value for your students—this format costs significantly less than a new textbook.
Updated in a new 2011 edition, Essentials of American & Texas Government provides the historical context students need to understand our government and the most crucial and controversial issues affecting the nation in the 21st century. This bestselling book has been extensively revised to provide in-depth coverage of President Barack Obama’s first two years in office and the 111th Congress, the 2010 congressional elections, continued concerns related to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and domestic concerns related to health care reform and the economy.
Table of Contents
I. FOUNDATIONS OF GOVERNMENT
1. The Political Landscape
2. The Constitution
4. Civil Liberties
5. Civil Rights
II. INSTITUTIONS OF GOVERNMENT
7. The Presidency
8. The Executive Branch and the Federal Bureaucracy
9. The Judiciary
III. POLITICAL BEHAVIOR.
10. Public Opinion and the News Media
11. Political Parties and Interest Groups
12. Campaigns, Elections, and Voting
13. Domestic and Economic Policy
14. Foreign and Defense Policy
IV. Texas Government
15. The Context for Texas Politics and Government
16. The Texas Constitution
17. Local Government and Politics in Texas
18. The Texas Legislature
19. The Governor and Bureaucracy in Texas
20. The Texas Judiciary
21. Political Parties, Interest Groups, Elections, and Campaigns in Texas
The Declaration of Independence
Federalist No. 10
Federalist No. 51
Federalist No. 78
Presidents, Congresses, and Chief Justices: 1789-2010
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Essentials of American Government: Roots and Reform, 2012 Election Edition, Books a la Carte Edition, 11th Edition as a replacement.