Ratti and McWaters wrote this series with the primary goal of preparing students to be successful in calculus. Having taught both calculus and precalculus, the authors saw firsthand where students would struggle, where they needed help making connections, and what material they needed in order to succeed in calculus. Their experience in the classroom shows in each chapter, where they emphasize conceptual development, real-life applications, and extensive exercises to encourage a deeper understanding.
With a new addition to the series, Precalculus Essentials, this text offers the best of both worlds: fast-paced, rigorous topics and a friendly, “teacherly” tone. This text is developed with a focus on key topics for calculus preparation.
Table of Contents
P. Basic Concepts of Algebra
P.1 The Real Numbers; Integer Exponents
P.2 Radicals and Rational Exponents
P.3 Solving Equations
P.5 Complex Numbers
1. Graphs and Functions
1.1 Graphs of Equations
1.4 A Library of Functions
1.5 Transformations of Functions
1.6 Combining Functions; Composite Functions
1.7 Inverse Functions
Chapter 1 Summary
Chapter 1 Review Exercises
Chapter 1 Exercises for Calculus
Chapter 1 Practice Test A
Chapter 1 Practice Test B
2. Polynomial and Rational Functions
2.1 Quadratic Functions
2.2 Polynomial Functions
2.3 Dividing Polynomials and the Rational Zeros Test
2.4 Zeros of a Polynomial Function
2.5 Rational Functions
Chapter 2 Summary
Chapter 2 Review Exercises
Chapter 2 Exercises for Calculus
Chapter 2 Practice Test A
Chapter 2 Practice Test B
3. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
3.1 Exponential Functions
3.2 Logarithmic Functions
3.3 Rules of Logarithms
3.4 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations and Inequalities
Chapter 3 Summary
Chapter 3 Review Exercises
Chapter 3 Exercises for Calculus
Chapter 3 Practice Test A
Chapter 3 Practice Test B
4. Trigonometric Functions
4.1 Angles and Their Measure
4.2 The Unit Circle; Trigonometric Functions
4.3 Graphs of the Sine and Cosine Functions
4.4 Graphs of the Other Trigonometric Functions
4.5 Inverse Trigonometric Functions
4.6 Right-Triangle Trigonometry
4.7 Trigonometric Identities
4.8 Sum and Difference Formulas
Chapter 4 Summary
Chapter 4 Review Exercises
Chapter 4 Exercises for Calculus
Chapter 4 Practice Test A
Chapter 4 Practice Test B
5. Applications of Trigonometric Functions
5.1 The Law of Sines and the Law of Cosines
5.2 Areas of Polygons Using Trigonometry
5.3 Polar Coordinates
5.4 Parametric Equations
Chapter 5 Summary
Chapter 5 Review Exercises
Chapter 5 Exercises for Calculus
Chapter 5 Practice Test A
Chapter 5 Practice Test B
6. Further Topics in Algebra
6.1 Sequences and Series
6.2 Arithmetic Sequences; Partial Sums
6.3 Geometric Sequences and Series
6.4 Systems of Equations in Two Variables
6.5 Partial-Fraction Decomposition
Chapter 6 Summary
Chapter 6 Review Exercises
Chapter 6 Exercises for Calculus
Chapter 6 Practice Test A
Chapter 6 Practice Test B
Appendix: Answers to Practice Problems
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$36.40 | Add to Cart
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$103.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-81706-8
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-81708-2
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users